Friday, February 26, 2010

What knowledge have you connected with past knowledge?

This course has been a recurring source of flashbacks to organic chemistry. Between chemical kinetics, chemical structures and the importance of functional groups, there has been a lot of review on the subject of organic chemistry. In ties with the name of the field, chemistry isn’t the only knowledge to bear connections with biochemistry, there have also been numerous times where the knowledge overlap between biology and biochemistry have become apparent. Most recently with the discussion of how enzymes work, although when I first learned it, I had know the “lock and key” variant of the process, and knew nothing of the induced fit model. Other previously known information includes: amino acids, primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary structures of proteins and formation of polypeptide chains. No information so far has been “new” so to speak, but it has gone more in depth into ideas discussed in previous classes.

3 comments:

  1. I agree this course has been a more in depth version of previous chemistry and biology classes. It has been interesting, throughout my college experience, the knowledge gained in other courses is repeated or beneficial in the understanding of others. A course I took several years ago, Philosophy, at the time I thought was useless. Since then, I have found myself referring back to ideas that I had learned. Making these connections helped me with my current course or understand better what I was learning then. Certainly, it is impossible to fully understand any of the disciplines without knowledge from the others. In the lecture regarding enzymes and activation energy, I was grateful for taking physics. It really helped me to understand the process without to much difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jared, I couldn't agree with you more. The first couple of weeks of class I was worried that I was in organic chemistry again and that I was doomed to fail. Thankfully, as time has gone on we have seen that biochemistry is more than glorified organic chemistry. Also, let me say that I appreciated that you too were unfamiliar with the induced fit model. I was wondering whether I was the only one who thought that lock and key was the only way for an enzyme to bind to a substrate.

    I also agree that there hasn't been much in the way of new material. However it is true that this class seems to go much more in-depth than any of my past classes. I am actually enjoying reviewing some of things from the past that I have forgotten. Also, I don't know if this is true for you but I have had a couple of "ah ha" moments where suddenly something that I never quite understood in past classes, finally makes perfect sense. I am sure that as the semester goes on we will encounter topics that are new to us. At that point I am sure we will be wishing that we could go back to when the topics were a review from past classes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete